Now Boarding - Mission to Myanmar!!

Note:  I have previously posted about getting adjusted to Calgary and some preemptive trip info here.  Below is part two of my discussion on Myanmar.

Well - the time has arrived and in a few short hours I will be departing my beloved Canada and flying quite literally around the world to Myanmar.  This post will cover:
  1. Trip Details
  2. A brief Introduction to Myanmar
  3. Some pre-trip reflection and prayer requests.
So, without further ado....

International Travelling 101


I have always been a fan of maps so take a gander at my itinerary below.  Lord willing, we (the Engineering Ministries International team) will leave Calgary at 11:00 AM Thursday, connect in Vancouver and Hong Kong, arriving in Yangon on Friday at 11:30 PM (which would make 11:00 AM Friday Calgary time - effectively 24 hours straight travelling!)  Total distance - 12,000 km!  For someone who has never left continental North America, this is going to be quite the crash course in jet lag and sitting in an airplane.




We are going to a village about 50 km NE of Yangon called Hlegu (you can see it on google maps).  Hlegu houses Myanmar Mission College, an orphanage and pastoral training centre that was established in 2010 (coincidence no?) to train young people up in sharing the good news.  Currently the site has two orphan houses, a kitchen, and foundations to the College.  The plan is to expand the facilities to include classrooms, staff quarters, a library and a chapel.

Our role as eMi is not to build these facilities (or construct the LEGO set as I like to say), but to team with the ministry to provide a master plan and drawings (or the LEGO instructions as I told one friend this week).  I anticipate that my responsibilities will include co-leading the survey of the site, assisting with structural design, generating the computer assisted drawings, and scouting for potential building materials.  It is going to be a full week of work!  Lastly, here is one of the photos we were given in order for us to get a sense of the site.  Mosquito country no?



Why Myanmar?

In the weeks leading up to today, I have had the privilege of researching another culture extensively.  Myanmar is a unique country in that it has only been internationally 'open' since 2010.  With that in mind, here are a few facts that will help to introduce you to this country.
  • Neighbours with India, Myanmar houses a variety of climate types mostly due to the changes in elevation throughout the country.  With snow topped Hymalayas to the north and jungles in the south (us) I'm looking forward to the new sights and sounds of this country.  One thing I will not enjoy is the humidity, it will be consistently above 40 with the humidex each day - wohoo!
  • rice comprises about 75% of the Myanmar diet.  I have labelled myself a rice lover, so this will be the ultimate test.  Eating in Myanmar is done strictly with your right hand as the left is designated for keeping yourself clean.  As a lefty this will be a difficult change.
  • keeping with the body part theme, the head is considered to be the holiest part of a person.  Touching someone there is extremely dishonourable.  The least holy part of the body is your feet!  When sitting with others pointing your feet away from your peers (and especially elders) is very important!  I wonder what they would think of the story of Jesus washing his disciples feet - the ultimate sign of humility and removing honour from oneself!
  • Lastly, there are over 130 ethnic tribes in Myanmar, many with their own language!
On a more serious note, here are some facts from the Gospel for Asia website:


  • Military campaigns continue against many ethnic minorities—which make up 40 percent of the population. Since 2011, hundreds of thousands have been displaced by the violence. Meanwhile, citizens are still recovering from the devastating effects of 2008's Cyclone Nargis, which destroyed livelihoods and killed 140,000 people, as well as more recent storms. 
  • After nearly two decades in refugee camps, citizens of Myanmar are preparing to come home. But for many, home still looks as it did when they first fled from it. Certain regions are littered with landmines, and the military is reluctant to relinquish its presence. Even if these problems are solved, some young people, who grew up in the camps, do not want to return to homes they no longer know 
  • In recent years, hundreds of villages have been ravaged by cyclones and wartime violence. Not only do these events rob villagers of the fragile huts they live in, but they also destroy farms and other chances of making a living. Coupled with the grief of lost loved ones, the people of Myanmar have a tough road toward normalcy. 
  • Much of Myanmar does not allow the construction of church buildings, but people are still embracing the love of Christ. Some walk for miles to reach a fellowship, and others get creative in making meeting places where they are. 


Obviously, there is much need not only for the Gospel to change lives but for the development of the country to better withstand the natural forces of typhoon and earthquake on it.


5 Things and Prayer


In my quiet time this week, the question of how will this trip change you emerged.  Here are 5 things that I think might change me over the next 10 days.

  1. My view of God is too small.
  2. My view of the world is too small.
  3. I have spent far too much time chasing after things on this earth that are small, rather than pursuing the greatest thing.
  4. My thanksgiving for daily bread will be stronger.
  5. I will never complain about Ontario humidity again.
After the trip, Lord willing, I plan to actually give a list of five things upon reflection of my time in Myanmar.  We'll see how wrong (or right) I was!

Lastly, eMi Canada has prepared an excellent prayer guide for throughout the volunteer trip.  I would refer to this link and keep a copy close by.  Please remember me and my team in the next few days as we by His grace carry out the kingdom work in Myanmar.  Also - please pray for my co-intern Katey, who has caught a bug and is hoping to make a swift recovery while travelling today!

Closing and Thanksgiving

I am a tightly bound mass of excitement, fear, joy and anticipation right now.  Only the Lord knows what is in store for me and my team the next week and a half.  In my times of nervousness and fear in this great unknown to come, God gently reminded me of his word in Psalm 62.

Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:1-2

Those words have been a balm to my soul countless times in the past few years.  I know that the God who has let us all this far will be the same God on the other side of the earth.  I can leave today with the confidence that in Christ there is life; abundant, joyous, complete life and in Him all fears are as nothing.

In Christ, with thanksgiving and love,

Ben

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the LORD,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said-
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?

"Fear not, I am with you, oh be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, and will still give you aid;
I'll strengthen you, help you and cause you to stand,
Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand.

~How Firm a Foundation verses 1 & 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

eMi's work on Myanmar Mission College or "Designing Hope"

Where and Why or "Final Thoughts"

eMi's Work at Abonse Farm Lodge or 'Meet the Team'